Last night, I skyped with a really good friend of mine, Trine. She will be going to the States in a while. Trine mentioned about getting some MAC as it’s cheaper there than at home in Denmark, and then of course, I started babbling about what else she should take a look at. Living in Denmark, we really do not have access to that many brands. So this is also a blog post for all the Danes (or other countries that also only have a few beauty brands) that are going to the States to shop for some makeup. I have only been to New York before once a very long time ago, so I’m no expert on what there is, but I definitely know what we DON’T have.
The States! OMG! I got all excited because the States is THE place where you get 1. almost all the brands available, 2. access to all the shades/products of each brand, and 3. it’s probably the cheapest place to buy makeup! If I could afford it, the USA will be the place I wanna travel to, right now! Some of the following products and brands, I have not tried before. Just some products I think you would like to look into.
So dear Trine. Here is the list I promised you. Hope you can use some of it!
After watching tons of youtube videos and reading blogs about makeup, I’ve got an idea of where you get the makeup and beauty products in the States.
–>I’m thinking you would get the most by going to one of those place:
– Target‘s health and beauty section: This is where you get all the drugstore brands.
– Walgreens: I think you can get more or less the same here as Target.
– Ulta: Seems more specific towards healthcare and beauty products. Seems like all the drugstore brands are available here too.
And of course, there is Sephora where you can get some high end brands as well.
And then just any mall for the high end products.
Trine is no crazy makeup junkie like me, hence this tips post I do for her. So I’ll try to limit the list to adjust what I know she might like.
– I think you might like Almay as it’s says on their page that they do hypoallergenic makeup, and their headline is “makeup made for sensitive skin”. As I remember, you have quite dry skin, so don’t go for their TLC foundation. But their concealer seems to have gotten quite a good review. I have not tried this brand myself.
– Revlon – is one of my favourite drugstore brands at all times. I would say go for their lip products – any of them. Ok, more specific, I enjoy the lip butters. Or the super lustrous. I personally wanna try the lipstains called Just bitten kissable. And if you’re looking for a liquid foundation with medium coverage, go for the Colorstay. They have one for dry skin and one for oily/combination skin.
– NYX – I love nyx! You could try out their blushers, and the matte bronzer is really good. I love mine!
– Neutrogena – their Healthy Skin Liquid Makeup. I thought this one would be perfect for you as you have a slightly drier skin(I hope I haven’t remembered wrong), and this foundation will give you a light to medium coverage. I know you wouldn’t like a foundation that is too heavy.
– Sonia Kashuk – seems like they do some really good brushes. I haven’t tried them myself, but they’ve got some pretty good reviews.
– ELF – ELF is just so cheap. And you can really get some good products here. Their studio blushes are really good. I have a few of them. And the blush/contouring combo is very hyped. And also the mineral lipsticks are also very good.
– Maybelline. We have Maybelline back at home, but I just wanna mention the Color Tattoo pots. I know you are not much of an eye shadow gal, but these are compared to MAC’s paint pots. Gel shadows are really good, because you just use your fingers and smudge them on your lids, and your’re done. Easy and quick!
Non drugstore brands
– Benefit: I’m thinking that you might like their face primer called the porefessional which is very hyped. Their blushes are hyped, but too expensive I think. They have so many products I wanna try out.
– Urban Decay – they have really nice products. Their most raved products are their eye shadows, the eye primer potion, and their 24/7 eye pencils.
– MUFE – Yes, yes, MAC is good, but don’t forget to take a look at MUFE (Makeup Forever) too. They also do some good products. I like their HD foundations.
– We talked about bareMinerals loose powder. Check out a video review by Wayne Goss of the product here. But I don’t think that it’s the best choice out there, taking the price into consideration. I bumped into this video, and the one called Terra Firma(which I’ve never heard of before) is the one preferred by the reviewer – it’s the favourite choice in his blind test – plus it’s the cheapest one of the bunch. Compare prices per gram here. You can also look into MAC’s Mineralize Skinfinish Natural which is baked instead of a loose powder. It has got pretty good reviews too.
And for the really, really high end and expensive brands such as Chanel, Giorgio Amarni, YSL, Dior, Shiseido, Tom Ford – I just don’t think I would bother to look at these brands when I’m in the States(because we have them in DK too) when there’s so much more good brands that are reasonably priced.
OK, I’m gonna stop now. Don’t want to overwhelm you with too much information and products, Trine. You know I’m only one Skype call away anyway if you have any question 🙂