You know what it’s like. You’re sleeping like a princess and suddenly the stupid alarm goes on, and you end up rushing out of the door. That’s seriously one thing of the day I really hate! I like to hit snooze like 10 times, and sometimes just accidentally turn it off. And then I wake up, panicking, and look at the time. Only 15 minutes to get ready. Shit. Gotta hurry. Pop my contact lenses in. Brush my teeth. Wash. Do I have time to put on makeup?
Depending on how much time I have, I estimate which of the products to use. Following is a priority list of which products I will use. So the points in the list includes all the above, and is not in chronological order.
1: If I only have time for one makeup product, it’s definitely my brow pencil. My brows are so scaringly sparse!
The two eyebrow pencils I like using lately:
2: Lipstick/lipgloss. When my brows are done, and I still have time, I will at least make sure to toss a lipstick in my bag. You can put it on later in the bus, and will give you an instant flush of colour to your face. My go to lipstick is Maybelline 330 Sugar Plum. Check out my post on my lipstick collection.
3. Concealer. Dot dot here. Dot dot there, and smudge it out with your fingers. I need it mostly under my eyes as I have dark under eye circles. It’s quick, easy and will brighten up the face without having to spend time to put on foundation. The Revlon is my perfect colour match. The MAC is slightly lighter than my skin tone. As my main problem is dark circles under my eyes, I like to use this kind of lightweight concealer. To cover up other heavier discolouration, I like to use my Makeup Forever concealer.
4: Blush: To give the face a nice flush of colour. My go to blush is NYX Dusty Rose. Check out my other NYX blushes. I like to use the MAC 116 brush to apply.
5: Tinted moisturiser/foundation + powder. Depending on the time and mood, I either use a tinted moisturiser or foundation. And I always powder my face afterwards. For the tinted moisturiser, I mix my own by using a tiny dot of my Makeup Forever concealer. You can use any concentrated concealer.
For the foundation, I like to use the Revlon Colorstay liquid foundation for oily skin because it’s so humid in Hong Kong right now. And for the same reason, I have to powder my face. When applying the liquid foundation, I use a Clinique foundation brush to apply on my face, and a buffing brush(either the Sigma or Real Techniques one) to even it out. And then a powder brush to dab on a thin layer just to avoid looking too oily later in the day.
All my close friends know that I love, love my Mac Studio Fix powder. I have been using it for years. You can also only apply the powder with a brush to get a very light coverage.
6: Mascara. My beloved Maybelline Falsies Volum’ Express. Check out my review of it. Remember to curl your lashes first. The only one I’m using is the Shiseido one.
7. Eyeliner. Usually I’ll go for the kohl or liquid liner, as it takes me too long to play around with the gel. Check out my favourite eyeliners for each type.
8. Gel shadow. As it can take some time to play around with powder shadows, I always grab for my gel shadow from Maybelline. I just use my fingers and smudge it on my eyes. I bought this in Hong Kong, before the Color Tattoo came out. It’s a light, brown colour. It’s not matte, but not too shimmery either.
9. Powder eye shadow. If it’s one of those days where I have a lot of time. I will spend more time doing the whole eye makeup look using several eye shadows.
Tip: One way to really make your eyes pop is to use a bright eyeliner. My favourite one is from Sephora and is a really pretty and bright turquoise. I just use it to line just below my waterline. It takes five seconds to put it on, but it looks like you’ve put more effort into it.
The chronoligical order of applying the products
The list above is which products I would use, if I only had 1-10 products. But this is the order if I have time to use all the products.
1. Foundation/tinted moisturiser
2. Draw my brows
3. Gel shadow
4. Powder eyeshadow
8. Face powder
9. Lower eyeliner
We’re all different, and have different needs. So I definitely do not suggest this priority for everyone. My 1. priority is eyebrow pencil because I have sparse brows. But if you for instance have really heavy and dark under eye circles, the concealer would be the priority. If YOU can only choose one makeup product, what would it be?