I know many of my readers are already makeup savvys, but thought that someone else could use these tips. Many people have actually asked me how I get my eye looks, so I wanted to share my take on it…
- Use an eye makeup primer. It can give you much better colour payoff and longer staying power. My favourites are the primers from Urban Decay and Milani.
- Tap off excess product before applying to prevent fallout. Put on a little at a time for good coverage. Dabbing a lot on your brush doesn’t mean that everything’s gonna transfer the same way on the eyes.
- Don’t pull…. I know it’s tempting when applying eyeliners. But it’s not good for the skin. Pulling the eyelids every day when putting on the eyeliner could result in fine lines.
- The power of the fingers! I think that too often, we forget how good our fingers make as tools. Especially for applying cream products including undereye concealer (warm it up with your fingers before applying).
- Patience is gold: blending. It sounds simple, but a well-blended eyelook can take time and patience. Just blend, blend, blend. My favourite blending brushes are an old blending brush from Sephora, E25 from Sigma, and I’ve also heard a lot about the MAC 217. I have the special edition which doesn’t really cut the edge for me.
- Highlighting and open up your eyes: If you want a natural look, use a matte (or very light shimmery) white/light colour over/under the arch of the eyebrows. You can also use it on the inner corners of the eyes. And a soft white/beige/pink coloured-pencil on the lower waterline. Also remember how much curling the lashes can do. My all time favourite is my Shiseido eyelash curler. Heat it up with a hair dryer for 10-20 seconds, and check the temperature before curling your lashes.
Hope this has helped for some of you out there although these must be obvious for some others 😉