Yes, I am one of those that are dealing with cold sores. It is a very common thing, and many people have them. Yet, it is so embarrassing and annoying the 10 odd days it is breaking out. Why does it feel like it is such a taboo? Well. There is not much to do than just wait till it passes away. In the meantime, it is important to keep a few tips in mind!!!
Of course, I have something big coming up, and boom – I’ve got my cold sore on my upper lip. Now that I am currently dealing with it, I want to share a few tips with you:
- Don’t touch it because you can infect yourself anywhere else on your own body!
- Yet, it is easy to forget. So make sure you wash your hands before going to the toilet!!
- Don’t kiss your partner, or just anyone.
- Don’t share cups & glasses with anyone.
- You can infect your partner ANY WHERE on his/her body………. so be careful! (also commonly called Type2 herpes – HSV2 while the “normal” herpes is HSV1)
- Don’t put any kind of moisture on your cold sore. You’ll just be “feeding” it. This includes any kind of makeup to camouflage it. Let it dry out and fall off.
- Use a separate towel for your face and body. Avoid to touch the cold sore even with the face towel. I use paper to pat it dry, and then throw it out.
- Wash makeup brushes and disinfect the makeup!!!
- If you are using a lip balm – throw it out. Unless you are using those where you squeeze the product out. At least disinfect the opening.
- AFTER the cold sore is gone, make sure to change out all the towels, and change out your tooth brush(es)!
My breakouts span from twice a year to every second year. Mostly, stress is the main factor that causes me to get a breakout. Sometimes, it can also be too much exposure to the sun.
Are you also dealing with cold sores? How do you feel about it? Do you have any good remedies for cold sores??